Monday, February 22, 2010

Almond (not homemade... gasp) Scones





So it's been awhile since I've posted... have you noticed that some weeks just consume every minute? It's a hard thing to have a creative outlet as a wife and mama and homemaker. It's a sanity thing, and I know I need this, to enjoy the gift that I have in doing the work I do. To celebrate making the mundane beautiful, and bringing HIS light into our home through gift and glory. This past week was just full, and so here I am... back in business. These scones are not homemade... you know, in reality we aren't always able to make homemade treats to bless our families. That doesn't mean our homes need to be bereft of that sweet something-wonderful-is-in-the-oven scent that floats so gently over the things we see as failures (the dusty piano, the toys that need to be sorted and put away, the booster seat that could really stand to be dunked in a tub of bleach... again) and make them muted in comparison to the miraculous aroma of baking. In many ways I think the miracle of baking is a grace from God to cover over a multitude of "failures" and remind us that EVERYTHING that is good is His.

I made these scones according to the directions on the box and just added about 1/2 cup of sliced almonds that I pulsed in my food processor until they were very finely chopped. Then I added 1 tsp. almond extract to the milk before I added that into the mix. They could have used a little more extract... maybe 1/2 tsp. more... but they were pretty delicious as is. I used them to make blackberry shortcakes. Those were so scrumptious that I was distracted and didn't think to photograph them until they were already consumed. Sometimes life is just like that... we forget, we enjoy, and we live to tell another tale.

ENJOY AND BE BLESSED!
Love... Jocelyn


No comments:

Post a Comment