Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Essie, My Hero!


From heaven the Lord looks down
and observes the whole human race,
Surveying from the royal throne
all who dwell on earth.
The one who fashioned the hearts of them all
knows their works
~Psalm 33:13-15
Tonight I made dessert! It's no small thing to plan, shop, prepare, and serve dinner
let alone add dessert into the mix. Tonight, it all came together... and with no small amount of credit due to (drumroll please...) Essie!
It's an old family recipe and it's named after the hero of the cobbler... Essie! Sadly I don't know who Essie is, I shall have to investigate and find out! It's the perfect what-shall-I-make-for-dessert-at-the-last-minute-? recipe. It only requires 9 ingredients... 8 of which are almost always in the pantry/fridge, and takes about 15 mintes from start to oven to pull together. So without further ado...
Essie's Cobbler
Cream together in mixer until fluffy:
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar ( I use evap. cane juice)
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil (not in the original recipe, but it doesn't get fluffy for me without it)

In another bowl sift together:

  • 1 cup flour (I have used whole wheat pastry flour and it's still delicious)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

In small amounts add sifted ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with milk

  • 1/2 cup milk

Beat with mixer until smooth then add

  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (another of my additions)

Grease an 8 by 8 inch glass pan.

Spoon batter into pan and spread evenly.

Pour full can of peaches right on top of the batter and spread the peaches out kinda evenly.

Sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar on top of peaches. I never use 1/2 cup, but if you love sweet... give it a try.

  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (again, I used evap. cane juice)
  • 1 large can of peaches in light syrup (the can I used said 29 ounces)

Place in preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. I bake it for about 30 minutes and then cover with tinfoil for the remaining time, as it can tend to get a little dark around the edges.

And of course, if you make this for dessert, you're gonna need this....



Enjoy it! Love, Jocelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment