Thursday, February 4, 2010

English Muffin Bread


"I am the bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink "
John 6:41,54-55
Amy and I met in junior high school, and one of our many shared experiences was English class. Our teacher was not a favorite among the students, but for some reason she loved the two of us, which naturally endeared her to us. When she said the word "English" she pronounced it with a strong 'a' sound like Anglish... I can't remember whether we loved that or not but we decided to pronounce it just like Mrs. Johnson.
We dreamed of Angland and exploring as only Amy and Jocelyn can... overly packed, with tons of snacks, and embracing hysteria. We haven't made it there yet... but, so far, we haven't heard the fat lady sing, and we haven't given up hope that one day we just may head on over to Bonny Angland and explore. In honor of all things wonderfully Anglish... here is a perfect recipe for an easy, delicious, and... as far as home-made bread goes, quick dinner accompaniment.
English or Anglish Muffin Bread
In electric mixer thoroughly combine:
  • 2 packages dry yeast (or 2 Tablespoons)
  • 3 cups flour (6 cups total for the recipe)-you can use whatever type of flour in whatever amounts to suit your preference... I like to use 1 cup white with 2 cups whole wheat as the bread doesn't rise as well with all whole wheat.
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 Tablespoons ground flax meal or whole flax seeds (my addition for extra omega 3's :)

In microwaveable glass bowl combine:

  • 2 cups milk (from skim to whole it's your choice... they all work)
  • 1/2 cup water

Heat liquids till very warm between 120 and 130 degrees.

Add to dry ingredients and beat really well.

Add remaining 3 cups of flour and mix until completely incorporated. I also knead it for a few minutes, about 5, to help release the gluten, but it's not necessary.

Grease and cornmeal the bottoms and sides of two loaf pans. Just shake it around until the bottom and sides are coated. In the past I have omitted this step because it makes the bread messy for slicing, but it really has a purpose. It keeps the bread away from direct contact with the sides of the pan and keeps the crust much more tender.

Then separate the dough into two pieces and form loaves and place in the prepared pans. Sprinkle tops of the loaves with cornmeal. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled. About 45 minutes... maybe longer when using whole grain flours.


Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. When the loaves are done they should sound hollow when the tops are gently tapped. Remove immediately from pans and cool on wire rack.

When the loaves have cooled a little... slice with a bread knife and you're ready to serve it!
My Daddy made this all the time when I was growing up, and it still makes me feel safe, loved and well cared for every time I bite into a slice of it. One bonus of this bread is that it is EXCELLENT toasted for breakfast the next morning... if there's any of it left!
Enjoy and be blessed... Love, Jocelyn
Recipe adapted from my Father's recipe box


1 comment:

  1. I found this recipe somewhere, it was printed out on a small narrow sheet of paper that unfolded with many other recipes on it. I made the first batch, it was very yummy, but was not very high, just about 3" thick. Then your daddy made it and it was twice as thick, so I have never made it again. Daddy has a way with bread that I don't have.

    ReplyDelete