Monday, February 1, 2010

Pumpkin Granola Bars


Ingredients:
3/4 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
1/4 c. butter(at room temp.)
1/4 c. honey
2 T molasses
2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (or whatever nut you have on hand)
2 T. shredded,unsweetened coconut
1/4 c. ground flax seed
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 T. grated orange rind

Blend the pumpkin, egg, butter, honey, and molasses in a mixing bowl or food processor. Add the oats, nuts, coconut, flax meal, cinnamon, and orange rind, and mix well. Spread this mixture into a lightly greased 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. While still warm, cut into 3-by-1 1/2-inch bars. For very crisp bars, remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.

In an attempt to have a little baking therapy tonight and bake something a little healthy at the same time, I came across this recipe for pumpkin granola bars. I have to say I was really happy with the results, and they are already half gone. I don't have a jelly-roll pan so I used a casserole dish, which I think accounted for them not turning out as crunchy as I thought they would. Very good flavor. I would make these again...and as Jocelyn suggested I think I'll add mini-chocolate chips next time!
Happy healthy baking love, Amy

(from All Homemade Cookies )

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty picture pretty lady! These look scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They made an excellent breakfast bar the next morning!

    ReplyDelete