Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mango Blueberry Scones...



Ingredients :
3 c. of flour ( I used 2 cups white, 1/2 wheat and 1/2 oats and a handful of flax seed meal)
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cube of butter
1 egg
3/4 c. milk (to my milk, I put a big glob of sour cream , 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 tsp. lemon juice )
1 to 1 1/2 c. of frozen blueberries/mangoes (total)
2 T. orange zest!

Place dry ingredients in bowl. Cut in cube of butter with pastry cutter. (Quite a good little work out for the wrists ;) The butter should be cold. Once you get it to a coarse meal look, mix in wet ingredients. Then gently fold in fruit. Get your hands floured and on a lightly floured surface shape dough into a circle. Cut into pie-shaped wedges. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

*optional: I brushed the top of the scones with a lightly beaten egg and sprinkled with raw sugar.

They used to make a very similar scone at the church coffee shop I used to work at. It was love at first bite. They are very comforting. You can mix up the fruit part to anything that you may have fresh or frozen or dried at your house! If I would have had some coconut, I would have thrown that in there too. Be creative... so far, I haven't had a scone I didn't like. Don't forget a hot cup of tea alongside. Love, Amy.

1 comment: