Sunday, February 28, 2010

Apple Walnut (Whole Grain) Bread Pudding...





Last week I had the total treat of visiting Jocelyn! And If her company alone wasn't just wonderful by itself, she took me out to breakfast at Bob's Red Mill ( A terrific bakery). I bought some Wholesome Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread....However the bread turned stale pretty quick. I was using it to make terrific toast, but decided to use the rest of it to make this lower fat, lower sugar bread pudding. Which did not taste low fat or low sugar. I was surprised this recipe didn't call for any eggs...which was perfect for me, since I didn't have any at the moment. This old-fashioned treat seems more like an autumn desert, but it was delicious in February.I mean don't appley-cinnamony things deserve the right to be enjoyed all year ? Love, Amy

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I have all that I need." ~Psalm 23:1

Ingredients:

4-5 cups whole grain bread cubes
1 1/2 peeled and chopped apples (I used fugi )
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 raisins
1/2 old fashioned oats
2 T. ground flax seed meal
1-2 t. cinnamon (honestly I just shake it in)
1 shake of nutmeg (about a 1/2 t.)
a sprinkle of salt
2 cups milk (whatever you use for your cereal, or almond milk might do nicely)
1 t. vanilla
1 t. rum flavoring
1/4 -1/3 cup agave syrup (and a little to drizzle over the top if you choose)
3 T. butter melted (You can omit this all together if you want)

Mix all ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes to soak up the moisture. Pour mixture into a prepared baking dish, I used a glass pie pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.

(recipe adapted from weheartfood/apple breadpudding)

No comments:

Post a Comment